Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Philosphy

Socrates said that "the unexamined life is not worth living" and when given a choice between life without philosphy or death, Socrates chose death. Socrates espoused the view that self-knowledge is one of the noblest goods of which we are capaple, and thought that ignorance as to why one believes what one believes can be dangerous.  Do you agree? Do you think there is a such thing as a dangerous idea? Do you agree with Socrates about the value of self-knowledge? Why or why not? 


  In some perspectives believing certain beliefs can be dangerous. For example, not everyone is going to agrees with someone but because of laws are enforced to protect the people, we have the liberty to believe and say what we want and not be corrupting the rest of the people. In Socrates case, it was unfortunate that his life was taken away for believing in what he believed. During Socrates era, he was considered to be corrupting the young children's about his theories of true knowledge. For instance, let say I was to rob a bank, that is a bad idea because this based on ethical and unethical morals. Some things are naturally wrong, while other can find a reasonable excuse. Furthermore, Socrates engaged that self-knowledge was a good way to live life instead of living in ignorance but also I believe that some people are afraid to know what true because as human being we are afraid to know more than we already know. We live a live in a straight line, so to speak. We live what we are told and don't question it. I am an example. I believe in the self-knowledge because everyone has their own thoughts and theories. For example, if my mother told me to go to school, but instead I decided to go elsewhere, I left not because that is what I was told to go but because elsewhere is what I thought I would find better things. 

Opinions welcome on the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment